It’s that time of the year, folks! The Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival is back and Schema Magazine is recruiting volunteers to write previews, reviews and blog posts from the festival!
A bit about us in case you’re new to what we do: Schema Magazine is a Vancouver-based online magazine that aims to reflect, explore, showcase and give voice to the most interculturally-minded generation in Canadian history. Established in 2003 as the definitive platform for “ethnic cool”, Schema Magazine provides a blend of local and international pop-culture, identity and current affairs from the perspective of immigrant, Canadian-born, mixed-race, transnational and culturally-blended Canadians who self-describe as “Cultural Navigators.” Schema reaches readers across Canada, the U.S. and around the world, connecting those who embrace the rich complexity of cultural identity and see themselves as being “more than ethnic”. And that’s why we’re all over Reel Asian.
Schema offers positions and provides opportunities to develop transferable skills in various aspects of magazine and online publishing – from business development, advertising sales, and research to publicity, writing and editing.
You would be responsible for at least three film reviews consisting of no fewer than 400 words per review. It is very important that the applicant be able to be honest and forthright with their criticisms, while also being able to present counter-arguments as to how a filmmaker could have made their movie better.
This position will run from November 4 to 17th.
- Excellent English and grammar, able to write a creative, compelling review that would make the reader want to read / watch the book / movie described
- Able to take editorial criticisms
- Ability to meet deadlines when required
- Some previous writing experience a plus
- Reviews must be in original voice and pass Copyscape 100%
- Build your writing portfolio + get published
- Gain hands-on experience of working in the online publishing industry
- Networking and working with a great team of like-minded individuals
- Gain feedback on your writing
Please send your cover letter and resumes, along with a writing sample, to email@example.com. Sign up ASAP: we look forward to hearing from you!