Happy Friday! Here are five fun links to check out. Enjoy!
1. Who doesn’t love Hayao Miyazaki? He is truly a legendary filmmaker and animator, and has recently announced that his latest animated film would also be his last. The Simpsons recently paid tribute to Miyazaki in this wonderfully odd scene, as they celebrate the beloved works of the master animator, with references from some of Miyazaki’s most well-known films.
2. The “Shib Sibs” are Sochi-bound. A Michael Jackson themed free skate performance earned Alex and Maia Shibutani a spot on the U.S. Olympic team for the 2014 winter Olympic games.
3. Adorable asian babies who dress better than you. I feel that fashion is a very important part of culture. It is definitely my favourite form of self-expression.
4. Even though everyone is beautiful both inside and out…oftentimes, it’s still difficult to grasp our own racial identities. Is it worth getting ahead in your career if it means denying your own identity and turning away from your heritage? Would you get plastic surgery if it meant that you could advance your career? Julie Chen did; she got surgery to look “less asian”.
5. Time travelling is possible…if only in photographs. London-based photographer Chino Otsuka travels through time by inserting herself into her childhood photos. See how Otsuka uses photography as a tool, almost like her time machine, to embark on a journey, where she becomes a tourist in her own history.